Yep, my Hummingbirds are back, any way one is, that is what was rapping on my window today. they fly right up to my office window and look at me, like "Hey Lady, where is my food?" I rushed to the kitchen and cooked it right up and got it ouside within an hour. I usually hang 4 on my office windows, two in the living room and one in the dinning room. I get lots of them. I can sit outside on my front porch and they are all around me getting to the feeders and when I hold a feeder in my hand they will eat from it too. I have already had them follow me into the kitchen(I didn't know it at the time, Nessie was barking and I looked around and there two were, waiting for me to fill the feeders and then followed me outside again.). They get pretty tame. Here are a few facts for you. I love watching them.
Most hummingbirds are only 3 to 4 inches long. Hummingbirds generally weigh between one tenth and one quarter of an ounce. Migration proceeds at an average rate of about 20 miles per day.
They leave our area approx., starting mid Oct. and fly south (just like me, only they have a month on me) It is thought that Ruby-throats live as long as 12 years, but the average is probably 3-5 years.
One year there was one still here early Nov. and Savannah was probably 4-5 years old then, and she was so worried that is couldn't fly all the way to Florida, so was thinking it could ride with us in the motorhome.
They are the only birds I feed. If any other bird comes near, the will dive at the other bird. Aggresive little buggers.

No comments:
Post a Comment